21st Century Career Girl

21st Century Career Girl

Monday, August 20, 2012

Its not WHAT you know...

I work in the field of Human Resources. I get much joy from the ideology surrounded with working in such a field but unfortunately I have no joy in my current job. With not much experience and only an  undergraduate degree in Industrial Psychology, I feel that back in school we were not prepared or told that the working world would be so cruel.

In South Africa, there is such a high rate of unemployment. Skilled professionals are walking the streets while people with very little knowledge are running major departments in big corporate company's. I often hear this term when asking people why they are out of a job or looking. They respond "it's not WHAT you know in this country, but in fact WHO you know"

It's funny, we have all the skills needed to take South Africa from a 3rd world to a 1st world country but are not utilizing it properly.  In my opinion, for South Africa to move forward we need to achieve total equality across the board, which means reconstructing the laws that govern employment, and more especially employment equity.

Also, I think it's fair to say that we need to hire people of quality, who are able to develop a culture of teaching, learning and people development.... my Utopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment